Apprentice Leisure Operations Assistant

Newhaven, East Sussex
£99 per week
30 Sep 2016
28 Oct 2016
Seahaven Leisure Centre
Contract Type
Full Time

Wave Leisure Trust Ltd was formed in 2006 as a registered charitable company limited by guarantee. The Trust manages eight facilities on behalf of Lewes District Council, East Sussex County Council, and in partnership with Seaford Head School, Ringmer Community College, Priory School and Newhaven Town Council.

The WLT Team bring considerable experience in the management of all aspects of community leisure, sports and recreation services and activities, such as leisure centres, swimming pools, health and fitness suites and athletics tracks, as well as associated activities.

Main Duties:

  • To assist with the delivery of continuous improvement plans
  • To assist in the maintenance, use and updating of safety equipment and to ensure that the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act are properly adhered to
  • To be diligent about compliance with the Trust’s Health and Safety Policy
  • To take on relevant responsibilities during Emergency Procedures
  • To assist in the day to day preparation of the facilities for classes, hall hire, and private events
  • To assist the Operations Manager in organising special activities for children during the school holidays
  • To clean all areas of the Centre including pool hall, changing rooms, toilets, showers, storeroom and drains to ensure exceptional standards of hygiene and cleanliness
  • To ensure that all users behave in an orderly manner at all times and take appropriate action should any member of the public misuse the facilities

Working Week:

  • 30 hours per week
  • Shifts to include evenings and weekends

Skills Required:

  • Communication skills

Personal Qualities:

  • Customer focused
  • Driven and enthusiastic
  • Passion for providing exceptional service
  • Can do attitude
  • Pro-active
  • Team player
  • Interpersonal skills

Future Prospects:

  • In the last 12 months, 90% of Apprentices have moved into permanent employment, with the other 10% choosing to leave to pursue other careers

Reality Check:

  • You will need to work shifts that will include early mornings, evenings and weekends

Important Other Information:

  • You also need to complete a Wave Leisure Application Form for this vacancy. This will be emailed to you


  • Full training will be given in company systems/procedures etc. The Leisure Operations Apprenticeship will include Level 2 NVQ in Operational Services, Level 2 Certificate in Leisure Operations (technical certificate) and Award in Employment Awareness, plus Functional Skills in English and Maths
  • All support will be given 1:1 in the workplace by a coach/assessor from AITC

National Minimum Wage:

  • The National Minimum Wage (NMW) for Apprentices is £3.40 per hour. This applies to 16-18 year old Apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other Apprentices the Apprentice National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The Wage for Apprentices applies to both time spent on the job plus time spent training