FXIP Engineer I
American Express is a global service company, providing customers with exceptional access to products and experiences that enrich lives and build business success.
Each day, we make it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they need and for merchants to sell their goods and services, enabling them to do and achieve more.
We’re committed to becoming the world’s most respected service brand and daily deliver extraordinary service to our customers, constantly reinventing our ways of working to ensure we offer rich rewards that redefine expectations for our clients and ourselves.
American Express is a global service company, providing customers with exceptional access to products and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Each day, we make it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they need and for merchants to sell their goods and services, enabling them to do and achieve more. We’re committed to becoming the world’s most respected service brand and daily deliver extraordinary service to our customers, constantly reinventing our ways of working to ensure we offer rich rewards that redefine expectations for our clients and ourselves. A vacancy exists for a strong Java developer within the FXIP team in American Express, Burgess Hill. The successful candidate will join an existing agile development team building an exciting transformation financial platform involving both green field and brown field development.
The team is relatively new and the codebase growing quickly so this position suits someone who can hit the ground running, form good working relationships quickly and also, add value by introducing best practice design and techniques learned elsewhere. The successful candidate will join a newly forming agile team of 10-15 people, and contribute as a senior member of the development team. The team is led by an experienced technical leadership group.
- Deliver business value based on agile best practices
- Work in one of the developed teams to ensure software is design & developed correctly & continually and automatically validated, and tested throughout the development lifecycle
- Take part in the team’s ownership of the development code, process & change lifecycle, ensuring the platform is well maintained, issues are quickly resolved, and that its capabilities are continuously improved by the team as a whole through a consistent agile approach. Owning and coding user stories in the backlog, taking advice from senior members of staff as required, and conforming to scrum team rules around definitions of done. Taking part in reviewing other team members’ code and suggesting improvements. Attendance and active participation at all scrum ceremonies (stand-up, backlog refinement, retrospective, etc).
- Liaison with QA, Support, and other teams involved with testing, deploying, and maintaining environment applications, infrastructure and releases
- Help the team troubleshoot and resolve issues with design & implementation of new features. Resolution and ownership of defects arising from either production or sprint development in a timely fashion.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Experience as a Java programmer
- Experience of continuous delivery & continuous improvement methods required
- Good knowledge of core Java, including Spring, Junit, (including Mockito & Hamcrest), JSP, JQuery, Oracle DB SQL, Jax RS, Jackson, Cucumber. Experience of Groovy and other JVM languages a plus. Experience of MyBatis a plus
- Highly desirable: REST/SOAP, Struts – legacy, Domain Driven Design (DDD), Event sourcing/CQRS
- Previous experience working on green-field applications; confident self-starter
- Must have proven experience with Agile/extreme programming (XP) methodology
- Experience of continuous delivery & continuous improvement methods
- Knowledge of automated build / continuous integration platforms, especially Maven and Jenkins (Gradle useful)
- Excellent spoken and written English, clear oral communication skills
- Must be willing and able to express new ideas, concerns and opinions directly to wider team in team meetings via teleconference
- Attention to detail and accuracy are essential
- Must be proactive, enthusiastic, flexible, and results driven
- Experience in working with colleagues in other locations, especially offshore development colleagues in India & US
- Good knowledge of microservice style architecture design, non blocking RESTful APIs and reactive programming.
We place great importance on doing what is right, what is best and what is innovative. And we continue seeking people to champion these values and beliefs as we grow. The world’s a big place, filled with big ideas and amazing people. And we want the best of them here at American Express. We’re interested in where you came from, but we’re even more excited about where you will go with American Express.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).