Apprentice Aquatics Assistant
Post Title: Apprentice Aquatics Assistant
Organisation: Chailey Heritage Foundation
Hours: 37 hours per week
Hours generally between 08:00 and 20:00, on a flexible rota, covering 7 days a week, 52 weeks per annum.
Apprenticeship duration: 12 months
Salary: £125 - £220 per week
Training provider: Swim UK
Apprenticeship title: Level 2 Activity Leadership - Swimming Teaching
Chailey Heritage Foundation are recruiting for an Apprentice Aquatics Assistant to join their Aquatics provision.
- To undertake and successfully complete a one year apprenticeship training programme with Chailey Heritage Foundation working primarily in the Hydrotherapy Pool.
- The post holder will undertake a comprehensive programme of on the job training, external training courses and monthly assessments by a designated external assessor.
- To support the supervisory team in the effective operation of the Hydrotherapy Pool at Chailey Heritage Foundation on a day-to-day basis, supporting with the care of Young People (YP) and delivery of the Aquatics Curriculum objectives.
Main duties and responsibilities:
Through appropriate training the post holder will gain knowledge and experience enabling them to contribute to the following key tasks towards running the facility:
- Through regular Personal Development Reviews and the Apprenticeship framework identify and agree internal and external training courses as appropriate to the post. This includes the ASA Level 1 and 2 Teaching Aquatics qualifications.
- With support from line managers contribute to ensuring that all delivery meets appropriate Health & Safety standards including the adoption of safe working practices, risk assessment and compliance with National Governing Bodies for sport guidance on the safe use of equipment and delivery of activity.
- Gain knowledge and experience in the Foundation’s professional standards to ensure students and customers enjoy a safe experience whilst delivering an effective service at all times.
- Assist, and with experience and relevant qualifications, lead swimming coaching and instructional activities as designated by the Aquatics Manager
- In consultation with the Aquatics Manager, plan suitable, progressive activity for the delivery of aquatics sessions that is appropriate to the facility and within ASA guidelines, whilst ensuring that all aspects of the delivery are individual to the participant.
- Be aware of fire exits, assembly points, reporting mechanisms in an emergency to be effective in assisting with the safe evacuation of the facility in the case of a fire or other emergency.
- Upon achievement of the National Pool Lifeguard Qualification, act as a pool lifeguard and Aquatics Assistant, ensuring pool users safety. Control time sessions, perform lifesaving duties and administer first aid, as required.
- Understand the need for high quality customer care and contribute towards providing a high quality experience for users. Duties will be wide ranging and as well as teaching swimming / aquatics programmes and lifeguarding (when qualified) will include administration, answering the phone, dealing with customers face to face in a positive, reliable and pleasant way.
- Be sufficiently flexible to provide cover for Aquatic Assistants and Swimming Teaching staff (when qualified) during annual leave and periods of sickness. Duties will include day time, evening and weekend working.
- Using Microsoft Office and IT equipment, provide activity reports when requested to the chosen project lead officer and Aquatics Manager
- When aquatic sessions are unable to take place, work alongside classroom assistants and lead a suitable PE activity as an alternative.
- Be aware of the health and medical needs of the YP and to assist, following necessary training, with all interventions required to care for the pupil in a holistic manner to maintain their everyday health care needs including gastrostomy, epilepsy management, individual catheterisation, spinal board retrieval and others as required due to the changing needs of the pupils.
- Carry out any other duties that are within the scope and grading of the post which could be requested by the Aquatics Manager.
Desirable qualities/skills required:
- Swimming ability and appropriate level of fitness required to maintain the National Pool Lifeguard Qualification
- Available to work on an early, late shift rota system that includes evenings and weekends
- An ability to analyse problems, situations and information, think laterally and take decisive action.
- Good communication skills
- Time management and ability to prioritise tasks.
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs.
Annual leave: 23 days per annum + bank holidays.
Eligibility: If you have completed a degree then unfortunately you will not be eligible for funding for an Apprenticeship.
Apply for Apprentice Aquatics Assistant
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly