Apprentice Wood Machinist
The apprentice wood machinist will be trained to undertake all aspects of the production of our range of hardwood gates and benches. Full training will be given in the use of a wide range of woodworking machines.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate that they have a genuine interest in woodworking which must include a basic understanding of maths.
The employer plans on interviewing throughout the process and recruiting. The day-release part of the apprenticeship would begin in September, with Sussex Downs College.
The essential skills for the role include:
- Confidence with numbers
- The ability to understand and interpret written instructions
- Being able to work efficiently and quickly under pressure
- Flexibility - if a job is not finished we would expect that you would stay an extra 5 minutes to finish the job
- Being able to measure and read a tape measure
The essential personal qualities for the role include:
- Being understanding when talking to customers
- A keenness to learn and work as part of a small team
It is essential to have a GCSE (or equivalent) in Maths at grade C/4 or above.
Promotion to full time wood machinist with responsibility for the production and development of part of our range.
Things to consider
If you are between 16-18 the maximum amount of hours would be 40 per hour.
The successful apprentice will come to Sussex Downs College, in Eastbourne, as part of a day release programme. Please consider how you will travel to the employer and collge before applying.
The apprenticeship is located just outside of Hailsham, so candidate must either be able to drive or cycle to work.