We are currently seeking an enthusiastic Maintenance Apprentice to assist with regular building and equipment maintenance tasks and emergency repairs.
This is a practical job based at Plumpton College where you will work alongside an experienced team who will provide training and support whilst you develop. This role also offers day release to attend classes at Sussex Downs College in Eastbourne to work towards a Level 2 Diploma in Maintenance Operations. The key tasks will include:
- Assist with minor building and equipment/plant maintenance, repair and refurbishment work
- Assist with performing planned preventative maintenance procedures on buildings and equipment
- Respond to emergency maintenance requests as required
- Complete daily, weekly and monthly checks on buildings and equipment, maintaining records of findings
- Assist with legionella prevention work, maintaining records of findings
- Read meters and monitor fuel oil levels
- Assist with keeping gullies and surface drains clear
- Replace lamps and assist with maintaining electrical lighting systems
- Ensure safe access to and around the College premises in the event of inclement weather
- Take suitable measures as deemed necessary to ensure the protection of the campus buildings in the absence of the Estates Manager
- To participate in, and contribute to, activities involving the marketing and promotional activities of the College.
- Helping to set up show stands and deliver/collect equipment
- To adhere to the College safety policies ensuring that appropriate safety standards are maintained during all College activities
- Maintain effective communications with other staff including attendance at departmental and staff meetings as required
- Previous experience in general maintenance, decorating, carpentry, plumbing, or simple electrical work
- Possess good communication skills and able to interact with a wide range of people
- A self-motivated, positive and pro-active attitude
- Reliable and committed
- Physically fit, able to work at heights and to work in all weather conditions
- Willingness to follow Health and Safety procedures including the correct use of personal protective equipment
- Able to work in a fast paced environment
- Able to follow instructions
- Commitment to complete the apprenticeship and earn a formal qualification
- To maintain a smart appearance and to act in a professional manner at all times
- Hardworking, enthusiastic and committed to completing the apprenticeship and earning a formal qualification
If you do not have a GCSE C/4 grade in maths and English you'll be required to complete Level 1 functional skills as part of your apprenticeship therefore a competency in English and maths is required It is expected that you will be competent in Maths and English
On successful completion of your apprenticeship, should there be a position available you will have the opportunity to join the college on a full time basis
Things to consider
Plumpton College is based in beautiful surroundings in the East Sussex countryside. Please consider how you would travel to and from work each day. Further information on traveling to the college can be found: www.plumpton.ac.uk/information/student-life/travel/
This role would suit an individual who enjoys practical tasks, problem solving and who is responsible and able to work independently.
The rates of pay for this role will be:
Under 18 £4.20 per hour Age 18-20 £5.90 per hour Age 21-24 £7.38 per hour Age 25+ £7.83 per hour You can also look forward to a great range of benefits including 26 days holiday plus bank holidays, membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme, child care voucher scheme and free on-site parking. Suitable work wear will also be provided. This is a full time role, working 37 hours per week including time spent in classes developing subject knowledge. Standard working hours will be Monday – Friday 8.00am – 4.00pm.
With over 3,000 students, excellent resources and a drive for continuous improvement, Plumpton College is actively seeking staff who want to make a difference and be part of this exciting phase of our development. At Plumpton College we are Ambitious & Progressive, Enterprising, Professional, Supportive and Passionate about everything we do – if you share these values and would like to be part of our growing team then we’d like to hear from you.
Full driving licence would be desirable as it would allow you to easily travel between our different campuses (this is not a mandatory requirement).
More searches like this
- Apprenticeship Apprenticeship Apprenticeship Full Time jobs in Lewes
- Construction Apprenticeship Apprenticeship Full Time jobs in Lewes
- Rural & Landbased Apprenticeship Apprenticeship Full Time jobs in Lewes
- Site Apprenticeship Apprenticeship Full Time jobs in Lewes
- Skilled Trade Apprenticeship Apprenticeship Full Time jobs in Lewes