Day Services patients are at an earlier stage of their terminal illness and they access services at Martlets as an outpatient. We are looking for volunteer drivers to bring patients in for our non-clinical 121 and group services.
These services can help our patients relax, unwind, de-stress and aid their general well-being. We offer a variety of 121 complementary therapies and our groups include Mindfulness, Tai Chi, Gardening group, Coffee morning and a choir.
Where: Havens, Brighton, Hove & Portslade.
When: during weekdays (Tuesday, Wednesdays, Thursdays) and occasionally on Saturday
- We also have ‘one offs’ where patients need to attend for a clinic appointment and their carer or usual transport arrangements are not available.
What you’ll be doing:
- Collecting patients from their homes, bringing them into the Hospice for appointments and group activities and, taking them home again.
What’s in it for you:
- An opportunity to be part of a friendly team and free training on specific areas
- An opportunity to offer support to patients by enabling them to access services and social activities
- Occasional free or discounted tickets to choir events
- Reasonable travel expenses.
Your skills and abilities:
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Good time-keeping skills, patience at times, and the ability to empathise with your passenger
- Ability to follow location instructions – to use Google maps, or Sat Nav or just follow a map!
- An insight into the issues relating to death and the dying, bereavement and grief