Senior Java Engineer - Global Statements
You’ll do more than the expected. You’ll do the unexpected.
American Express is embarking on an exciting transformation driven by an energetic new team of high performers. This group is nimble and creative with the power to shape our technology and product roadmap. If you have the talent and desire to deliver innovative payment products and services at a rapid pace, serving our customers seamlessly across physical, digital, mobile, and social media, join our transformation team.
This new role exists within the Global Statement Technology organisation where an agile team is being created to support the development of Global Statement Capabilities. This team is responsible for the technology platform that produces statements for American Express Cardmembers and Merchants throughout the US and International locations. The platform is new and offering opportunities to transform this hugely important type of customer communications.
The team’s vision is to provide 1st class global customer communications through close partnership with our business partners, developing re-usable capabilities, optimising investment, reducing time-to-market, and innovating. This will be achieved working on a range of proprietary platforms and the integration of third party tools that utilise a variety of technologies.
The successful candidate will need to be highly adaptable, confident working on their own initiative, pro-active and open to leading change, in a role that will work with people around the globe. There is a need to have strong relationship and influencing skills, including the ability to challenge and query.
- Analyze user stories to appropriately support design activities
- Perform all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications including, developing prototypes and writing new code / API's
- Function as an active member of an agile team through consistent development practices (tools, common components, and documentation)
- Produce software builds from software source code
- Conduct integration tests as defined in the test specifications, including event logging and reporting of results
- Perform unit and assembly testing of software components including the design, implementation, evaluation, and execution of unit and assembly test scripts
- Conduct code reviews and tests of automated build scripts
- Debug software components, identifies, fixes and verifies remediation of code defects (own work and the work of others)
- Identify opportunities to adopt innovative technologies
- Provides continuous support for ongoing production application availability
- Write instructions to guide computer operators during production runs
- Work with product owners to prioritize features for ongoing sprints and manage a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Familiar with Agile or other rapid application development methods
- Experience with design and coding across one or more platforms and languages (e.g. Java)
- Hands-on expertise with application design, software development and automated testing
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases
- Experience in designing, coding and deploying applications within a cloud environment
- Demonstrated experience with object-oriented design, design patterns and coding with variety of languages
- University Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or equivalent experience
- Applies data analysis, data modelling and quality assurance techniques to aid in the development of data structures and associated components
- Designs, codes, tests, corrects and documents large and/or complex programs and program modifications from supplied specifications using agreed standards and tools, to achieve a well engineered result
- Takes part in reviews of own work and of colleagues' work
- Demonstrated experience leading teams of engineers
- Defines test conditions, cases and scripts based on the requirements and specifications provided
- Has working knowledge of the range of tools used in the planning, analyzing, designing, building, testing, configuring and maintaining of assigned application(s)
- Able to participate in assigned team’s software delivery methodology (Agile, Scrum, Agile XP, Test-Driven Development)
- Good understanding and working knowledge of API Design, Implementation and Security and microservice architecture
- Experience in Enterprise JAVA/J2EE Technologies using Core Java, Spring Core, Spring JDBC template, Hibernate, Spring Batch etc.
- Good Understanding of TDD and BDD frameworks
- Good Understanding of Version Control System i.e. GIT, etc. using tools like Source Tree, GIT Bash, Bitbucket etc.
- Good Understanding and working knowledge of Build Automation Tools and Frameworks
- Experience in continuous delivery & continuous improvement methods required.
- Good communication skills, both written and spoken is essential
- Good knowledge of micro service style architecture design, non-blocking RESTful APIs and reactive programming
- Good relationship building skills with both Technology and Product Owner teams
- Experience with streaming applications such as Kafka a plus.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
A competitive benefits offering designed to support our employees’ total health and wellbeing, including:
- Health care scheme
- Defined contribution pension plan
- Dental scheme
- Virtual GP
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Core holiday allowance with opportunity to buy or sell additional days
- Car Allowance/Company Car Option
- A range of flexible benefits to choose from designed to suit your lifestyle: healthcare plan options, health assessments, critical illness coverage, cycle to work, season ticket loans
- Employee Discount Portal
- Back up childcare/adultcare
- Onsite facilities include; Fitness classes, Health Checks, Digital Health Kiosk, Physiotherapy, Healthy Living Nurse, Wellness Studio, Costa Coffee and subsidised staff restaurant
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Dec 18, 2018, 12:47:38 PM