Java Engineer - Cross Border Payments
Don’t just follow digital trends. Help build one.
We are looking for a high performing and hardworking Software Engineer to join our Cross Border Payments technology team at American Express in Burgess Hill.
The Cross Border Payments team is part of Global Commercial Services Technology and is responsible for a cloud-based, highly available platform enabling international foreign exchange transactions for global commercial clients.
You will partner closely with our product owners within a highly collaborative, collocated scrum team, in an environment that values interesting technical challenges, uses standard methodologies and design approaches and prioritises your professional development.
Your primary software development experience will be using Java Technologies; including JPA, Spring (Spring MVC, Spring Data and Spring Boot) and RESTful micro-services.
- Writes clean, tested and monitored scalable code
- Works with Product Owners to prioritise features for ongoing sprints
- Works with Quality Engineers to ensure automated test scripts are incorporated for new features
- Performs all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications, including developing prototypes, writing new code and crafting API's
- Designs and builds integration components and interfaces in collaboration with Architects and Infrastructure Engineers as necessary
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Meaningful software development experience (min Java 6, Java 8 and above preferable) in a professional environment and/or
- Demonstrated experience working with a team of engineers
- Hands-on expertise with application design, software development and automated testing
- University Degree in computer science, computer science engineering or related field
- Experience in Agile techniques, preferably with BDD/TDD and pair programming
- Understands full technical stack environments, distributed (multi-tiered) systems and relational databases
- Good collaboration and communication skills across all cultures and levels, and passionate about keeping up to date with new technologies
Some of the following experience would also be desirable:
- Knowledge of Spring including MVC, AOP, Spring Boot, REST, Cucumber,JPA, JUnit, Mocking, Oracle DB SQL
- Cloud experience, for example Docker, OpenShift, Unix and service discovery tools
- Experience with performance and monitoring tools e.g. Splunk and Dynatrace
- Experience developing RESTful API’s and micro-services and understanding of Domain Driven Design
- Knowledge of automated build / continuous delivery, experience of Maven, Jenkins, Groovy and other JVM languages a plus
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
A competitive benefits offering designed to support our employees’ total health and wellbeing, including:
- Health care scheme
- Defined contribution pension plan
- Dental scheme
- Virtual GP
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Core holiday allowance with opportunity to buy or sell additional days
- A range of flexible benefits to choose from designed to suit your lifestyle: healthcare plan options, health assessments, critical illness coverage, cycle to work, season ticket loans
- Employee Discount Portal
- Back up childcare/adultcare
- Onsite facilities include; Fitness classes, Health Checks, Digital Health Kiosk, Physiotherapy, Healthy Living Nurse, Wellness Studio, Costa Coffee and subsidised staff restaurant
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time