Senior Java Engineer
Don’t just have a great idea, build it.
Who are we?
Global Loyalty and Benefits is responsible for American Express Membership Rewards, one of the major features of our brand. We are passionate about attracting and retaining customers by ensuring their experience is enjoyable and memorable.
Our Software Engineers not only understand how technology works, but how that technology intersects with the people who count on it every day. Today, innovative ideas, insight and new perspectives are at the core of how we create a more powerful, personal and fulfilling experience for all our customers. So if you’re interested in a career creating breakthrough software and making an impact on an audience of millions, look no further.
We have 20+ scrum teams on our UK campus. Each team is made up of 6-9 colleagues and may include a scrum master, product owner, engineers and quality engineers. Depending on the specific team, we operate Scrum or Kanban within the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe). Our organisation is global but predominantly based on the UK and US. The majority of team members are co-located.
We arrive into the office between 8-10am and stand-ups take place each morning. We collaborate using tools such as Slack, WebEx and the Atlassian stack (Confluence, JIRA, BitBucket). We are constantly striving to improve and hold regular agile ceremonies to inspect and adapt the ways we work together. Our ultimate aims are to reduce time to market, improve code quality and create world class global products. We enjoy the luxury of avoiding a long commute to London and are strong advocates of a good work/life balance, ensuring that we are flexibly meeting the needs of individuals around childcare, travel and any personal emergencies.
There are hundreds of opportunities to make your mark on technology and life at American Express. Here’s just some of what we would be looking for you to do:
- Drive both high-level and detailed technical designs and conduct design reviews as needed
- Relentlessly look for opportunities for modernization and innovation
- Provide technical guidance to other software engineers
- Writes clean, tested and monitored scalable code
- Ensure a globally robust and highly scalable approach to development to support our global products
- Performs all technical aspects of software development, including prototyping and investigation to support future technical direction
- Designs and develops API's to the highest standard
- Works with Product Owners to prioritise features for ongoing sprints
- Works with Quality Engineers to ensure automated test scripts are incorporated for new features
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Experience in developing RESTful API’s and micro services
- Development experience in Java 8, Spring Boot, Data Access and Reactive approaches
- Technical leadership skills that demonstrate helping set direction and mentoring members of the team
- Hands-on expertise with application design, software development and automated testing
- Strong understanding of Agile practices (TDD, Pair Programming, Continuous Integration...)
- Understands the complete vertical platform environment (technical stack)
- Exposure to distributed (multi-tiered) systems and relational databases
- Good collaboration and communication skills and enthusiastic
- Demonstrated experience working in a team of Engineers
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or related field
At the core of Software Engineering
Every member of our team must be able to demonstrate the following technical, functional, leadership and business core competencies, including:
- Agile Practices
- Porting/Software Configuration
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
- Business Analysis
- Analytical Thinking
- Business Product Knowledge
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
A competitive benefits offering designed to support our employees’ total health and wellbeing, including:
- Health care scheme
- Defined contribution pension plan
- Dental scheme
- Virtual GP
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Core holiday allowance with opportunity to buy or sell additional days
- Car Allowance/Company Car Option
- A range of flexible benefits to choose from designed to suit your lifestyle: healthcare plan options, health assessments, critical illness coverage, cycle to work, season ticket loans
- Employee Discount Portal
- Back up childcare/adultcare
- Onsite facilities include; Fitness classes, Health Checks, Digital Health Kiosk, Physiotherapy, Healthy Living Nurse, Wellness Studio, Costa Coffee and subsidised staff restaurant
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time