Apprentice Technical Support Engineer
Ever wondered how indoor environments are controlled? When you are staying in a hotel or at the shopping centre, there is an intelligent building management system measuring and controlling things like temperature, humidity and CO2 levels. This maintains occupancy comfort levels and also conserves energy by monitoring occupancy and light levels and switching off heating or air conditioning when optimum levels are met.
Imagine Hive, Nest or Alexa on a much larger scale! This technology has been around for a long time in Building Management and with the rise in IoT and cloud data it is growing rapidly.
Sontay design and manufacture the sensing devices that feed the data to the building management systems to create a Smart Building.
We currently have an opening for an Apprentice Technical Support Engineer at our Edenbridge office.
Sontay has strong ethics in customer service and is renowned in the industry for its excellence in this field. The ideal candidate must have a passion for giving first class service and support along with the ability to empathise and understand customer issues.
Typical duties for the role will include:
· Telephone & e-mail support
· Product fault finding over the phone
· Online Livechat monitoring and support
· Product testing and calibration
· Product datasheet updates
· Product work instructions for manufacturing in pictorial and video format
· Application/specification advice
Free tea, coffee & hot chocolate
Employer Introduction Video:
Training to be Provided:
Knowledge Based Element:
• Level 2 Diploma in Engineering (City &Guilds) – 2 years day release
Competence Based Element:
• Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Engineering Technical Support
• Level 1 English (unless exempt via GCSEs)
• Level 1 Maths (unless exempt via GCSEs)
• Level 1 ICT (unless exempt via GCSEs)
• Employment Rights and Responsibilities (ERR)
• Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS)
Engineering Technical Support has 3 pathways linked to typical job roles: Inspection and Testing / Engineering Drawing / Technical Services. To succeed in their chosen field, individuals require both practical and technical skills. Apprenticeship programmes aim to provide these skills via a framework of qualifications, which candidates are required to work towards through a combination of college and work-based activities.
The available units cover the skills, knowledge and understanding in a wide variety of Engineering Technical Support activities including the following at each level:
Level 2 -
• producing/modifying mechanical and electrical drawings using CAD
• checking components using CMM
• checking fabricated components and structures
• assisting in the monitoring of engineering activities
• developing and maintaining effective customer relationships
The ideal candidate should have the following attributes:
• Trained in electronics
• Good telephone skills
• Technical aptitude
• Multi-tasking ability
• Good time management, ability to prioritise
• Accurate data entry, typing skills
• Excellent IT skills
• Fast learner
Ideally Maths and English GCSE in grade C/4 or above – or L2 equivalent in Functional Skills
Looking to learn and grow in a career. This person would need to be pro-active and display a positive and conscientious attitude to work and life.
The role has a range of progression options throughout the business. We have a proven track record of staff progression with many key staff having risen through the ranks.
Other Important Information:
All applications must be made through Apprenticeship vacancies. Do not contact the employer direct as this may result in your application not being considered. The National Minimum Wage for Apprentices is £3.90 per hour effective from 1st April 2019. This is the legal minimum pay per hour applying to 16-18 year old apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their apprenticeship. For apprentices 19 or over who have completed their first year and are continuing their apprenticeship, the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies.