Commis Chef Apprentice
Hours to be discussed at the interview Total hours per week: 40.00
Weekly wage £180.00
Expected duration 15 months
Possible start date 28 Oct 2019
Apprenticeship level Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
As an apprentice commis chef you're on the first rung of the ladder to becoming a great chef within our company. This is your big chance to learn all there is to know about your trade..
You will need to be versatile, because it is important that you gain experience in all sections of the kitchen before you consider specialising.
- Contribute to reviewing and refreshing menus in line with business and customer requirements
- Keep kitchen storage areas in good order by checking food stocks, reporting shortages, and prioritising food use that is close to expiry date
- Work methodically to prioritise tasks, ensuring they are completed on time and to the required standard
- Contribute to portion and stock control by measuring ingredients and portion sizes accurately
- With support and training, demonstrate a range of craft preparation and basic cooking skills and techniques to prepare, produce and present dishes and menu items in line with business requirements.
In accordance with training provided, use correct knives, knife skills and other kitchen equipment for the preparation, cooking and presentation of food and dishes.
Food and Kitchen Safety
- Maintain a clean and hygienic kitchen environment at all times, complete kitchen documentation as instructed
- Store, prepare and cook ingredients correctly to deliver a quality product that is safe for the consumer
- Undertake all tasks with due care and attention, reporting risks in the appropriate manner.
- Work effectively and productively within the kitchen operating in a fair and equal manner that demonstrates effective teamwork
- Develop good working relationships with colleagues in other parts of the organisation
Requirements and prospects
- Have a desire to develop your skills in cooking, have a passion for food, be a good listener and take direction from the more senior members of the kitchen brigade
- Possess a passion for food, a desire to learn and a keen interest in working with quality seasonal ingredients
- The ability to work long hours and have the commitment
- Have previous experience of being part of a team
- Hard working
- The ability to keep calm while under pressure
- Willingness to learn and take instructions
GCSE maths and English grade C / 4 or equivalent are desirable but not essential.
After successful completion of the apprenticeship a full time position could be possible.
Things to consider
You will be paid on a monthly basis.
The rate of pay will be discussed at interview and will range form £4.50 to £5.00 per hour.
Be prepared to work unsociable hours.
About the employer
Webbes Rock A Nore
A modern bistro style restaurant in the heart of Rye, serving mainly local fish, with a large prep kitchen and open plan service kitchen, everything is homemade, a great base experience.
1 Rock-A-Nore Road
Training provider EAST SUSSEX COLLEGE
Debbie Baldock-Apps 01424 458557 email@example.com
Training to be provided
East Sussex college will provide the apprenticeship standard, this will include the NVQ/Diploma, Functional Skills, ERR.
East Sussex College will ensure Health and Safety and Equality and Diversity.
Apprenticeship standard Commis chef