- Working week: Shifts to be confirmed, 37 hours per week.
- Weekly wage: £153.55
- Expected duration: 18 months
- Possible start date: 16 Oct 2020
- Apprenticeship level: Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
- Positions: 3 available
The Crown and Anchor pub, a high profile seafront pub based in Eastbourne, are looking to take on a new Chef Apprentice. This is a unique opportunity to work as part of the team at The Crown and Anchor whilst gaining significant work experience and completing an NVQ qualification, one day a week at College, at the Eastbourne Sussex Downs College campus, located at Hampden Park.
The purpose of this role is to learn and carry out all aspects of running and maintaining a busy pub kitchen from planning and preparing all dishes to maintaining cleanliness and complying with health and safety legislation. To work well with the existing team and contribute to the success and reputation of the pub by delighting its customers.
The tasks in order of priority, include the following:
- Prepare and cook quality food for customers
- Prepare the kitchen and equipment for service maintaining the standards set by the management team
- Maintain standards of personal hygiene, dress and appearance as required by the management team
- Abide by all kitchen procedures and systems and ensure company standards are met in relation to health and safety, food hygiene, routine cleaning, preparing, operating and maintaining the kitchen and related equipment
- Approach all work responsibilities with a positive and proactive nature; work productively harmoniously with the rest of the team
- Report daily to the head chef/House manager about quality issues, stock levels, deficiencies, equipment checks, failures and any incidents that have occurred in the kitchen
- Deliver open and close down procedures of the kitchen at specific times
- Complete company training and development as required
- Carrying out any reasonable requests that may be made by the management team
As part of this role, you will be required to work evenings, weekends and national holidays.
Wage will be subject to the age of the successful candidate.
Requirements and prospects
The skills required as part of this role, include the following:
- Manual dexterity for food preparation
- Good communication skills
- The ability to work well as part of a team
The ideal candidate should have:
- A passion for food and taste and be motivated by creating excellent dishes to exceed customers’ expectations
- You should love your job and be able to demonstrate a positive attitude all day every day
- Ability to cope with high stress situations and be able to diffuse them where possible
- Ability to blend in with the current team and work interactively to ensure excellent customer service is delivered
- Flexibility and adaptability to meet the needs of customers, team members and to ensure that operations run smoothly and efficiently
- Ability to follow procedures and deliver high standards
- Any hygiene related qualifications will be suitable for this role
- For the right candidate there is the potential to progress on to the Level 3 Apprenticeship in Professional Cookery or to move sideways into hospitality services in this dynamic environment
Things to consider
- Once a week you will be required to come into college, in Eastbourne, at Hampden Park, as part of your apprenticeship
About the employer
CROWN & ANCHOR (EASTBOURNE) LTD
This is a busy pub with a team of 30 staff in total. At busy times the work can be demanding and challenging in a hot and sometimes stressful environment. Customers must come first so breaks and hours worked will be fitted around them. Applicants should be aware there are stairs to contend with in this work premises.
15-16 Marine Parade
Training to be provided
- Apprenticeship Certificate (Pass or Distinction grade)
- Level 1 Functional Skills in English and maths (equivalent to GCSE grade D-E or level 3-2) unless exempt
- Apprenticeship standard Commis chef.