Childcare Apprentice in Hastings
We are looking for an enthusiastic, friendly person who is interested in pursuing a career in Childcare, to join our team as an apprentice. You will be working with children in both our Indoor pre-school as well as our outdoor pre-school.
East Sussex College will provide the apprenticeship standard which will include Diploma, Functional Skills
East Sussex College will ensure Health & Safety, and Equality & Diversity.
Paediatric First Aid
- Your hours of work will be between 0800 – 1600 hrs Monday – Friday term time only
- 35 hrs per week
- £147.00 per week
- 18 months
- Potential permanent full-time employment on successful completion of the apprenticeship
In2play is a Community Interest Company which has worked in the community with children and families since 2006. Our outdoor preschool received an Outstanding rating by Ofsted in December 2019.
We are able to take a maximum of 45 children aged 2 – 4 years and offer a supportive, caring environment where every child is valued as an individual
In2play has a strong emphasis on outdoor play and explorative play, both of which support children to become inquisitive and active learners.
In April 2018 we opened the first Outdoor Pre-school in Hastings based at Hastings Adventure playground. This offers a more holistic approach to learning, encouraging children to explore and develop confidence and self-esteem whilst stimulating their cognitive and communication development.
The “Outdoor Pre-school” concept originated in Scandinavia, where schools use local woodland areas to hold outdoor activities which foster children’s problem-solving and cooperation skills, as well as their confidence and self-esteem.
You will be working with children aged 2 to 4 years in our outdoor nursery. Children are fully supported within the Early Years Foundation Stage and we work closely with parents to ensure the best possible outcomes for all children.
The ideal candidate will enjoy engaging with young children and duties will include:
- Helping to provide safe, creative, appropriate play opportunities in a safe, caring, friendly, relaxed and constructive atmosphere.
- Assisting the team with specific tasks and activities relating to the children attending the nursery.
- Maintaining a high standard of professional conduct at all times and a child centred approach to the care provided.
- Supporting and adhering to the safeguarding policies and procedures.
- Assisting in preparing materials and equipment at the start of each session and clearing away at the end. All toys and play areas must be kept safe and hygienic at all times and as clean and tidy as is practicable. This will involve damp dusting, minor cleaning and mopping up of spillage, etc.
- Assisting staff in ensuring that toys and equipment are properly used, withdrawing immediately or rendering harmless any potentially dangerous items and arranging for repair or proper disposal.
- Ensuring staff are kept informed of the physical and emotional security of the children, and that anything about a child that gives cause for concern is reported to the Manager immediately and acted upon accordingly.
- Assisting in comforting sick or injured children, when appropriate.
- Assisting in supervising the children at meal times, and helping with feeding as necessary.
- Assisting other staff in attending to the physical needs of the children and generally fostering their development, independence and self-reliance.
- Adopting a flexible and team working approach to work at all times, including providing the necessary cover for other staff in emergency situations, etc. as directed by and within the limits of registration requirements. When necessary staying late with children ensuring that emergency arrangements are made for them to be reunited with their parent/guardian(s).
East Sussex College are the Training Provider for this apprenticeship
Full training will be given
You should have:
- The ability to work in a team
- Good listening and observational skills
- The ability to work on your own initiative and to communicate well with children and adults.
You should be:
- A good team player
- Enjoy working with and able to engage with children
- Willing to participate in training and learn on the job
GCSE English & Maths grade C / 4 or above (or equivalent qualifications) desirable