Principal Technical Author : Elekta
Description: To support the growth of the Elekta business and our continuous innovation in patient care, the Global Engineering business area has an exciting opportunity for a highly experienced Technical Author.
We are looking for a dynamic and motivated team player with experience of defining and creating high-end technical content for product documentation. This is a varied role operating within the Information Development function based in Crawley. You will be working in an established team with years of expertise and the latest industry tools to create highly technical content. You will be self-starting and be able to work independently. You will be able to interpret information requirements into clear concise content to be used in our suite of product manuals.
The role involves close collaboration and liaison with other functional areas of Elekta’s global business, to create and update technical content in accordance with project timelines.
As a principal member of the team, you may also be required to lead documentation projects, support and coach other members of the team and sometimes represent the team in the absence of the Information Development Manager.
Elekta seeks to continuously improve its operating environment. You will be capable of supporting the development and implementation of new practices, processes and techniques to encourage and develop a highly innovative approach to information development.
- To create content for new and updated product manuals as required
- To do the required research and information gathering and organize the content
- To liaise with stakeholders outside the department to gather information
- To be accountable for the quality of the content created
- To be proactive in identifying documentation requirements
- To create/partake in initiatives to improve documentation processes
- To support the Information Development Manager in any way requested
- To provide support to the localization team, sometimes carrying out localization activities
- To lead documentation projects
- To coach more junior members if applicable
- To stand in for manager as and when required
Relevant Knowledge, skills and competEncies: Core competencies
- Excellent written English and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively across global environments
- Ability to work alone or in a team
- Ability to work under pressure whilst being adaptable and flexible
- Logical in thought with high attention to detail
- Strong editing and quality control skills
- Culturally aware
- Reliable attendance and punctual time keeping
- Good coaching and networking skills
Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum of Degree or equivalent experience in an engineering, radiographic, scientific, technical software, or life sciences environment.
- Experience with XML-based authoring tools.
- Experience in writing structured documentation in a content management system.
- Experience of DITA, XML, XSD, XSLT would be advantageous.
- High level of competence using the usual suite of office applications and the ability to pick up new applications quickly
- Expertise in Microsoft Office (Excel/Word/PowerPoint/Visio) would be advantageous.
- Experience of working in an Agile project environment would be advantageous.
- Previous experience of working with medical imaging systems would be highly advantageous.
additional local information: The role will be officially based in Crawley, but with a significant amount of homeworking until further notice.