Dangerous Goods Officer : ILG
Dangerous Goods Officer
6 month fixed term contract
Salary of £27,000 to £30,000 per annum pro rata depending on experience
ILG is a provider of outsourced warehousing and delivery services. Recent growth, particularly the increasing number of clients in the beauty and wellbeing industries, has resulted in the need for a dedicated resource to take responsibility for the H&S and compliance relating to the storage and shipping of dangerous goods.
- Design and keep under review processes and procedures to ensure the correct storage, handling, packing and shipping of dangerous goods by road, sea and air.
- Support the warehouse management and the delivery team with the implementation of the dangerous goods processes and procedures across all ILG sites
- To record data for all new client SKU’s classed as DG onto 3EX.NET system to include UN number, shipping class & packing group
- Ensure all operations staff have sufficient awareness of the dangerous goods processes and procedures to ensure compliance
- Ensure those that are responsible for the shipping of dangerous goods are authorised to do so and trained to the required standard using external providers
- Ensure those that are responsible for the storage, handling and packing of dangerous goods are trained in the particular hazards and emergency procedures
- Maintain dangerous goods training records
- Keep an up to date record of dangerous goods in storage to ensure stored in line with legislation and insurance policy
- To manage any non-compliant shipments with carriers through to resolution
- Be the first point of escalation for queries from those authorised to pack and ship dangerous goods
- Liaise between H&S, delivery and Ops on dangerous goods matters
- Engage with the new business implementations team on new business dangerous goods requirements
- Ensure COSHH & DSEAR risk assessments are completed and reviewed in line with risk assessment policy
- To monitor compliance with the rules governing the road transport of dangerous goods and other practices and procedures
- Experience in a role as a Dangerous Goods Safety Adviser appointed to comply with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 (desirable)
- Hold a current and recognised Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor qualification.
- An expert in the shipping of dangerous good by road, sea and air
- Experience of designing and implementing processes and procedures and ensuring compliance across a large workforce operating in dispersed locations
- Ability to build relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders together with the potential to quickly build credibility with those various groups.
- Experience of undertaking COSHH & DSEAR risk assessments (desirable)
- Able to develop and deliver training both e-learning and classroom.
- Experience of Microsoft Office packages, particularly Excel and Word to an advanced level.
- Proven administration skills demonstrating an accurate and thorough approach.