Senior Engineer I
Senior Software Engineer – Global Statements
American Express is embarking on an exciting transformation driven by an energetic new team of high performers. This group is nimble and creative with the power to shape our technology and product roadmap. If you have the talent and desire to deliver innovative payment products and services at a rapid pace, serving our customers seamlessly across physical, digital, mobile, and social media, join our transformation team.
This new role exists within the Global Statement Technology organisation where an agile team is responsible for the technology platform that produces statements for American Express Cardmembers and Merchants throughout the US and International locations. The platform being developed is brand new and offering opportunities to transform this hugely important type of customer communications.
The team’s vision is to provide 1st class global customer communications through close partnership with our business partners, developing re-usable capabilities, optimising investment, reducing time-to-market, and innovating. This will be achieved working on a range of proprietary platforms and the integration of third party tools that utilise a variety of technologies.
The successful candidate will need to be highly skilled in developing cloud based services. They should excel in problem solving, be very experienced in agile delivery and leading a Lean delivery mindset. There is a need to have strong relationship and influencing skills, including the ability to challenge and query and work with people around the globe.
- Provide expert guidance to the team on architectural, design and implementation concerns
- Perform all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications including analysis, design, development, testing and deployment
- Define and adapt robust development practices (tools, common components, and documentation) following agile methodologies
- Conduct code reviews and tests of automated build scripts
- Identify opportunities to adopt innovative technologies
- Provides continuous support for ongoing production application availability
- Coach and mentor junior members of the team.
- Work with product owners to prioritize features for ongoing sprints and manage a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- University Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or equivalent working experience
- Demonstrated experience leading teams of engineers
- Familiar with Agile, Lean and other rapid application development methods
- Experience with design and coding across one or more platforms and languages (e.g. Java), and with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and databases
- Experience in designing, coding and deploying applications within a cloud environment
- Hands-on expertise with automated testing
- Has working knowledge of the range of tools used in the planning, analyzing, designing, building, testing, configuring and maintaining of assigned application(s)
- Good understanding and working knowledge of API Design, Implementation and Security and microservice architecture
- Experience in Enterprise JAVA/J2EE Technologies using Core Java, Spring Core, Spring Boot, Spring JDBC template, Hibernate, Spring Batch, Vert.x framework
- Good Understanding of TDD and BDD frameworks
- Good Understanding of Version Control System i.e. GIT, etc. using tools like Source Tree, GIT Bash, Bitbucket etc.
- Experience in continuous delivery & continuous improvement methods required
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken
- Good relationship building skills with both Technology and Product Owner teams
- Experience with streaming applications such as Kafka.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
Amex have been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (free phone, subject to individual carrier charges). For Russia based candidates on 810 800 83 000038.