Cost Estimating Engineer – MR Linac : Elekta
Cost Estimating Engineer – MR Linac
Elekta Group operates a centralized category and business driven operations and supply chain management function, operating across four main direct material countries: situated in UK/Netherlands/Sweden/China, and 3 indirect regions Americas, Europe and China/APAC.
The operations and supply chain management functions are structured as a matrix organization with centralized leadership for Direct Purchasing/ Indirect Purchasing/ Supplier Development & Quality, Process & Systems and the Local Management in each of the regions for direct and indirect material.
The requirement for Cost Estimating Engineer activities varies within sites and as such this role may report into a Team Leader or into the local Head of Procurement.
The purpose of the role of Cost Estimating Engineer is to evaluate cost and process efficiencies of current and future porotype and production designs, drive and implement improvement initiatives to the supply base in order to add tangible value to all stages of the product lifecycle and help to identify and high quality cost efficient product to market.
The role will require the collection and analyzing of data and information in order to estimate costs associated with the manufacturing of product.
The role will drive proactively towards cost target objectives in collaboration with a cross functional team.
The role will take the lead for reducing component count within the design and manufacturing process and look to deliver the most cost-efficient product without detriment to quality.
- Determine cost estimated targets during the design and development process, recommending and influencing cost effective and efficient solutions
- Gather proposals, specifications and related documents and liaise with stakeholders in order to convert specifications to cost estimates for new and current products
- Utilize cost methodologies, tools and appropriate software models and packages to prepare and maintain reliable and accurate data
- Establish cost estimates of production processes and tooling costs and review alternatives or put forward recommendations for improvement
- Assess cost effectiveness of products and track actual costs relative to budget and report status on a regular basis to ensure costs are in line with forecasts
- Monitor and review data and information to detect or assess problems
- Investigate and identify cost reduction opportunities through cost and design analysis
- Contribute to cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures and monitor trends
- Prepare cost and expenditure statements, reports and other necessary documentation at regular intervals to share with others within the business
- Support all activities in cost estimating and take a proactive approach towards improvements to processes
- Provide cost estimates during engineering change process and advise of cost impact of changes. Track and monitor activity
- Work with stakeholders to ensure estimates are accurate and to make appropriate adjustments and resolve issues
- Analyze supplier quotes and provide information and data, which aids communications with suppliers and customers and achieves cost optimization.
- Ensure supplier quotations meet ‘should cost’ estimates
- Support supplier meetings and negotiations to challenge quotation prices and aim for cost reductions to meet target costs
- Support and utilize experience to aid best practice in the supplier process in conjunction with members of the purchasing team
- Liaise with purchasing department to provide continued feedback to ensure competitive pricing within product line
- To be a stakeholder within supplier selections processes
- Take decisions for Procurement in accordance with the business directives and strategy
- Aid in the delivery of projects on time and at the right quality and cost
- Drive improved methods of working i.e. LEAN/SAFe
- Aid the Make/Buy decision process
- Steer and support NPI functions to deliver cost efficient quality product to market
- Review and sign off on supplier quotation as part of the Elekta Product Creation Process (PCP)
- Be accountable for cost increases on the system cost of goods
Relevant Knowledge, skills and competencies –
- A strong electro-mechanical engineering and manufacturing background is essential.
- A minimum of HNC in an engineering discipline or equivalent
- Demonstrable experience of successful regular use of LEAN tools and/or problem-solving techniques and/or process improvement and/or value engineering
- Previous experience of cost estimating, ideally in a high cost low volume manufacturing or engineering environment
- Able to show evidence of adding value and cost optimization to a product
- Demonstrable experience of working with external suppliers (and/or other Elekta Product Supply Centre's) based across the world
- Knowledge and understanding of a variety of manufacturing processes and be able to evaluate and analyze associated costs
- Demonstrable experience of working within product creation environment using DFM/A skills.
- Demonstrable record of delivering stretching targets and successfully managing concurrent tasks
- Demonstrable evidence of results-oriented behaviour
- Experience of facilitating improvement workshops or forums an advantage
- Strong interpersonal communication and positive influencing skills, capable of working on own initiative whilst also being an effective team player
- Well-developed IT skills and fluent in English, preferably with a second language
- Able to work in a dual reporting matrix environment and work independently
- Promote a dynamic, empowered and open work environment, integrating the Elekta Values throughout the function