Architectural Joinery Apprentice
- Working week: Monday - Friday. 8.00am - 5.00pm
- Total hours per week: 40.00
- Weekly wage: £200.00
- Expected duration: 24 months
- Possible start date: 01 Aug 2021
- Apprenticeship level: Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
- Positions: 1 available
As you grow in your abilities you will carry out the following duties:
- Identify and confirm joinery requirements and components against specifications
- Locate, handle, store, load and position materials and components safely
- Prepare the workshop power and hand tools suitable for the project
- Calculate the most efficient quantity of resources
- Use and maintain hand tools and power tools and other equipment to achieve the best performance
- Maintain a clear and tidy workspace and ensure waste materials are disposed of safely
- Carry out quality checks against specification and take corrective action where required or instructed
- Produce setting out details for the manufacture of the company's products
- Mark out timber from setting out details for the company's products
- Create fit and assemble components of the company's products
- Operate fixed workshop machinery to create joinery components
- Develop knowledge of all aspects of health and safety in relation to working in a busy workshop
- Develop knowledge of the principles of building construction terminology and components and environmental and sustainability considerations
- How to communicate and work with others effectively in the workplace
- Develop knowledge of the characteristics, quality and uses of timber
- Develop knowledge of how to prepare, use and maintain power tools
- Develop knowledge of different types of fixings and fasteners for joinery work
Requirements and prospects
The types of skills we are looking for include:
- To be well organised
- To be able to plan
- To be methodical in your approach to work
- To have good attention to detail
- To maintain focus and have attention on safety at all times
- To value resources and not to waste them
We are looking for someone who is:
- Able to work as part of a team
- Reliable and dependable
- Calm and well organised
- Motivated by doing a good job
- Keen to progress and be productive
- Willing to contribute to the overall aims of the company
English and maths GCSEs (or equivalent) at Grade 3 / D or higher.
We are keen to grow our apprentice to a level where they can become an integral part of our team.
Things to consider
We are based on a farm business estate just outside Hellingly on a bus route. However, your day release will be in Hastings so you will need to be able to travel.
About the employer
J A K K
JAKK is a small, family owned business based in Hellingly, East Sussex. After establishing over twenty years ago it is safe to say we are full of experience! We originally specialised in garden and conservatory furniture make in Iroko Hardwood. Since this time, we have built a solid reputation with our extensive range of wooden gates and memorial benches.
Granary Business Centre Unit 17
EAST SUSSEX COLLEGE GROUP
Training to be provided
- Level 2 Carpentry and Joinery Apprenticeship Standard
You will attend college in Hastings one day a week as a day release apprentice and you will work in the business 4 days a week. You will be following the Architectural Joinery pathway of the Carpentry & Joinery apprenticeship which is a 2-year programme. You will have an end point assessment to pass to complete your qualification.
You may also need to include English and maths as part of your apprenticeship.
Carpentry and Joinery.