Apprentice Commis Chef
- Annual wage: £14,000.00 - £17,000.00
- Working week: You will work a shift pattern that will include a five day week across 7 days. Weekend working will be included. Shifts TBC.
- Total hours per week: 45.00 (the hours are based on the candidate being over 18)
- Expected duration: 18 months
- Possible start date: 01 Nov 2021
- Apprenticeship level: Intermediate Level 2 (GCSE)
- Positions: 1 available
We are looking for someone who will learn:
- Food safety and hygiene
- To understand diet nutrition, allergens and menu planning
- Kitchen etiquette
- Basic costings and yields of goos
- Portion and waste control
You will also learn preparatio, cooking and finishing methods to produce:
- Fish and shellfish, meat, poultry, game and offal
- Vegetables and vegetable proteins
- Stocks, sauces and soups
- Rice, pasta and noodles
- Egg dishes
- Pastry and dough products
- Cakes, sponges, scones and biscuits
- Hot and cold deserts
Requirements and prospects
We are looking for:
- Manual dexterity
- confident to ask questions when you don't understand
- To be able to stand for long periods of time
- To have an eye for detail
- To understand that presentation is key to delivering good food
You will need to learn to work as part of a team but also to use your own initiative to be able to get on with things without having to be asked.
Enthusiasm and good humour are essential when working in a busy hospitality environment. You will need to have endless patience and know how to keep your cool
A genuine interest in food and cooking is really important for any role in a kitchen and you'll need to be able to demonstrate this.
You will need stamina to work at the pace required.
English and maths GCSE (or equivalent) at Grade 4/C or higher or Level 2 Functional skills in both subjects would be an advantage.
We hope that when your apprenticeship has been completed successfully you will continue your career with The Ram and even progress ot a higher level apprenticeship.
Things to consider
We are in a very rural village with little or no public transport so you will need to be able to have your own transport or a means of getting to and from work.
About the employer
At the heart of the village and with a lively seating area known as firle Beach at the front of the pub, the Ram Inn is very popular with locals and visitors alike. the lack of through traffic, street lights and road markings give the village a timeless quality. Our rambling old brick and flint building has 3 beautiful rooms for wining and dining, each with its own open fire. We are well known for our food and everything on our menu is created in our own kitchen. We also have 6 luxurious letting bedrooms.
The Ram Inn
EAST SUSSEX COLLEGE GROUP
Commis chef (level 2)
Your training will be a mixture of day release and training in the workplace with your tutor/assessor coming to visit you regularly to observe you at work and to ensure your training is going according to plan. the Commis Chef apprenticeship is 18 months long and ends with an assessment which will include an on-demand test, a practical observation and culinary challenge and a professional discussion.
You may also have english and maths included within your apprenticeship.
Level 2 (GCSE)