At Chailey Heritage School we pride ourselves on the skills and knowledge of our teaching assistants, and want to recognise and celebrate their achievements. Over time they really become specialists in their field, and to acknowledge this we have created an exciting new accredited course which commences upon satisfactory completion of probation. We offer a truly specialist type of education and to reflect that, our internal job title for this remarkable group of people is Education Assistant (EA), progressing to Specialist Education Assistant (SEA) once they have gained their SEA Award.
The Education Assistant role is vital in ensuring that all of our young people, no matter what their disability, can go to school to learn, make friends and have fun. It is hard work, and requires commitment, but it's a hugely fulfilling job and can bring real joy.
The role of an Education Assistant (EA)
The Education Assistant job is very different to that in a mainstream school. You will support the teacher in creating opportunities for the children to learn in their own individual ways. You will need to be creative, flexible, patient, and perceptive, as you will need to write down observations for the teacher. However, as well as supporting the teaching, you will be trained by nurses, therapists and senior staff to carry out many other medical procedures.
If you demonstrate a high level of skills at interview and have relevant prior experience, for example, having working on our residential bungalows, or schools with pupils similar to ours, you may be eligible to start your employment with us as a SEA.
The documentation completed to achieve the SEA Award will provide a very high quality record of professional development and be extremely useful for SEAs who may want to progress their careers elsewhere; from time to time our SEAs go on to train as nurses, therapists, paramedics, SaLTs or teachers.
Why join us?
- Competitive rates of pay starting at £14,152 (£9.68 per hour) rising to £16,625 (£11.37 per hour)
- Pension scheme
- Comprehensive benefits package including :
- Gym discounts - savings of up to 25% on gym memberships. You can select from 3200 gyms, health clubs, boot camps and yoga studios.
- Cycle2Work - savings of at least 32% on a new bike or accessories from Halfords
- Mobile phone discounts - average saving of 28% on an EE contract
- Appreciation awards - receive Love 2 Shop vouchers at key milestones throughout your career
- For full details on our benefits please click here
- Excellent Working Hours - 32.5 hours per week (9am - 4pm), Monday to Friday, term time only
- Bank Roles - once trained, Education Assistants can also register as bank staff to work on our residential bungalows out of school hours, at weekends and in the holidays, as well as at our holiday clubs, which can enhance your basic pay
Strictly No Agencies
Chailey Heritage Foundation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young adults; as such an enhanced DBS disclosure is required.
Chailey Heritage Foundation is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to promoting diversity and inclusion for all its young people and staff. We welcome applications from all sections of the community.