L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title: Engineering Project Lead
Job Location: UK – Crawley – West Sussex
Job Code: IMS20221204-80460
About the role:
L3Harris is seeking an experienced Engineering Project Lead to join our Engineering team in Crawley, UK.
The Engineering Project Lead (EPL) manages the technical aspects of a specific program or effort and ensures technical, schedule and cost targets are met. The EPL is similar to the Program Manager (PM) in nature, just more functionally focused with the PM as his/her primary customer. The EPL is both a project manager and technical leader/expert. An EPL’s duties are broad in nature and may encompass multiple phases of a product’s lifecycle to include Pursuit, Development, Production or Post-Delivery Support. While possessing technical expertise and experience, the individual will coordinate and lead the engineering product development activities. The EPL plans, schedules and directs the engineering support of the program, and keeps the team on plan through proactive engagement, constant and robust communication/ collaboration and focused risk management. He/she is responsible for, and has authority over, all engineering resources associated with or in support of the program and must continually engage and collaborate with engineering functional leadership to ensure the necessary resources and support are available. The EPL musters, shepherds and leads the engineering team to success, providing quality, error free technical deliverables, to include subcontractor deliverables, to the PM and formal L3Harris customer on cost and schedule. The EPL maintains open and clear communication with the PM, engineering function and assigned team members, suppliers and customer(s). The EPL is a leader in a vitally important role, and is accountable to the PM as well as the Engineering Leadership team. This role is based in Crawley West Sussex and requires a miminum of 3 days per week site based at this location.
Please note: L3harris Commercial Aviation do not provide a visa sponsorship for this role. All candidates who wish to apply for this vacancy must have the right to work in the UK in order to be considered.
Day to day responsibilities will include (but not limited to):
- Partner with the Program Manager to ensure the success of the Program…technical, schedule and cost targets properly defined and met.
- In drawing his/her support from the engineering function, the EPL must constantly engage the other cross-functional leaders, defending the Program’s needs and priorities while working with the leadership to understand and accommodate the demands of competing Division needs.
- Interface and work closely with the customer(s) on technical and contractual requirements, and anticipate and fulfill customer needs to ensure 100% customer satisfaction and continued business expansion; negotiate as required and obtain positive resolution.
- Working in conjunction with PM and Proposal Lead, to decompose business case and customer contract requirements into Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) elements, support the develop the detailed Basis of Estimates (BOEs), construct viable Schedule (IMS), determine technical deliverables and associated program risks and opportunities.
- Responsible for requirements definition, verification and distribution, technical baseline development, resource identification and allocation, design trade studies, preliminary design, detailed design, system testing, qualification testing, supporting the handoff to Production (production configuration) and ensuring the technical deliverables to support a successful Entry-Into-Service
- Lead the technical development of the program. Serve as the focal point for all engineering development, product definition, resource allocation, task assignment and completion, problem solving and decision making necessary to accomplish project charter.
- Direct the engineering team assigned to the program, manage their performance and, through a matrix structure, oversee their participation within the program.
- Effectively communicate with the PM and serve as a leader on project team through a collaborative, trust-based relationship, ensuring all have the latest information available.
- Work with Division Leadership Team /Staff and functional groups to support the various meetings and reviews necessary to meet business objectives and commitments.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications:
- Requires proficient knowledge of hardware and software based simulated aircraft product development typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience.
- May have practical knowledge of project management including Earned Value and Risk/Scope Management.
- Responsible for managing complex projects at this level, involving delegation of work and review of work products.
- Working knowledge of resource loaded scheduling and is proficient in the use of Microsoft Project 2016 is preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering and minimum 4 years of prior relevant experience.
- Graduate Degree in Engineering and a minimum of 2 years of prior related experience.
Note: This Job Description is not intended to be all inclusive. It is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job title. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the role. The employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws