Brighton College is seeking to appoint a Sports Centre Leisure Apprentice, for 18 months in duration.
This is an exciting opportunity to join Brighton College as a Sports Centre Leisure Apprentice. You will work as part of a friendly and supportive team in our inspiring and exciting School of Science and Sport, featuring a range of world-class sports facilities.
The apprenticeship programme through Swim UK provides an opportunity to develop skills across the whole range of activities the centre provides. These include gaining practical experience in: lifeguarding, assisting with swimming lessons, pool water testing, cleaning, setting up the pool and administrative tasks.
Full training will be given and will lead to the possible attainment of the nationally recognised qualifications below. You will be given an Individual Learning Plan for the following qualifications, which you will undertake in and around your working hours:
- Level 2 Leisure Team Member apprenticeship standard
- RLSS National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ)
- ASA Level 1 Swimming Assistant (Teaching)
- ASA UKCC Level 2 Teaching Aquatics
- Level 2 Active IQ Gym/Fitness Instructing
- Level 1 and 2 Functional Skills (English & Maths), if required.
- Various one day courses, e.g. water testing, safeguarding, first aid etc.
- Interest and/or background in swimming or sports.
- Highly organised.
- Good time management.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Motivated to learn and achieve new qualifications.
- Ability to consider how equalities, diversity and inclusion matters should be considered in a leisure and sports environment.
Candidates should be able to achieve the following as part of the swimming test:
- Jump/dive into deep water.
- Swim 50 metres in less than 60 seconds.
- Swim 100 metres continuously on front and back in deep water.
- Tread water for 30 seconds.
- Surface dive to the floor of the pool.
- Climb out unaided without ladder/steps.
- This role will involve daily contact with pupils, and you will be engaging in regulated activity relevant to children.
- All staff and volunteers have a responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young persons for whom you are responsible and with whom you come into contact.
Hours of work:
- You will be required to work 30 hours per week as directed by the Head of Sport and Science Facilities.
- This will include early mornings, evenings and weekends.
- 20 days (pro rata), in addition to bank holidays.
- Annual leave should be taken during the school holidays.
- Significantly subsidised gym membership for the School of Science and Sport is available for eligible employees, which includes access to yoga and Pilates classes, the gym and pool.
- Healthy heart checks.
- Meditation sessions.
- Access to books, magazines and DVDs from the College Library.
- Complimentary lunch is provided during term-time.
- Free tickets to the College's music, dance and drama performances.
- Job specific Learning and Development programme available to all employees.
- Life Cover is provided to eligible employees whilst working at Brighton College after successfully passing probation period.
- Brighton College provides a contributory pension scheme, which all eligible employees will be automatically enrolled into within 3 months of employment.
- Perkbox: Employee* benefit and rewards platform which provides access to a wide range of discounts, employee benefits and wellbeing resources. *Eligible staff are those who are exclusively employed at Brighton College and on a permanent, contracted hours basis.