Tax Senior Manager
Hours: 37.5 per week, Mon - Fri
Location: Crawley, West Sussex - three days per week
Contract: Fixed Term - 12 to 18 months
Closing Date: 12 September 2023
In a nutshell
At Virgin Atlantic Airways, we believe that everyone can take on the world, and it's our vision to become the most loved travel company. As we embark on this next exciting stage of our journey, we're harnessing our spirit of entrepreneurship and innovation to challenge the status quo.
We're looking for a highly skilled Tax Senior Manager to lead the Tax compliance function for the Virgin Atlantic Group for 12 to 18 months. This role is responsible for overseeing the global compliance framework and maintaining a SAO compliant tax control environment. The role assists the Head of Tax by managing the group's tax risks, identifying opportunities for process and control improvements and supporting the development of the team.
The role is also responsible for delivering ad-hoc advice and contract reviews to support the business' wider activities.
Strong technical knowledge of Corporate, Employment and Indirect tax regimes for large multinational groups is essential.
Day to day
Some of your key responsibilities as our Tax Senior Manager will be:
- Overseeing compliance processes to ensure the Virgin Atlantic Group's global tax obligations are met.
- Signing off returns, audit disclosures and tax payments.
- Ensuring reliefs, claims and elections are optimised to minimise cash tax liabilities.
- Identifying changes in relevant tax legislation and determining actions required.
- Identifying the tax needs of wider business projects and delivering timely advice that supports wider business objectives.
- Identifying and effectively tracking risks through to remediation, focusing on addressing the root cause of weaknesses.
- Driving a strong control environment within the team whilst providing guidance and support to the business on how to mitigate tax risks.
- Coaching junior team members.
- Providing valued feedback to the team and supporting their growth and development. Driving a strong relationship with HMRC and other tax authorities, including coordinating responses to correspondence and encouraging dispute resolution.
- Proactively managing advisor involvement where external support required.
Are you an effective communicator, with in depth knowledge of UK corporate, employment and indirect taxes and a good understanding of overseas tax issues relevant to a large international Group?
In addition to the above, we are looking for our successful candidate to confidently demonstrate an ability to:
- Apply technical skills in a fast-moving commercial environment and deliver results against tight deadlines.
- Explain complex tax technical matters to non-tax specialists at a level appropriate to the audience,
- Negotiate complex issues with HMRC and business stakeholders,
- Cut through ambiguity and problem solve,
- Weigh up available information and make strategic and robust recommendations,
- Anticipate tax risks, quantify any impact and mitigate exposure,
- Plan workload to meet deadlines whilst managing multiple work streams,
- Analyse complex documents making appropriate evaluations and balanced judgments.
If this sounds like you, and you would like to be on this exciting journey with us, we would love to hear from you!
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do our colleagues. That's why we're proud to be an equal opportunity employer and actively encourage applications from all backgrounds. At Virgin Atlantic, we believe everyone can take on the world - no matter your age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disabilities, religion, or beliefs. We celebrate difference and everything that makes our colleagues unique by upholding an inclusive environment in which we can all thrive. So that everyone at Virgin Atlantic can be themselves and know they belong.
To make your journey with us accessible and individual to you, we encourage you to let us know if you'd like a little extra help with your application, or if you have any individual requirements at any stage along your recruitment journey. We are here to support you, so please reach out to our team, (firstname.lastname@example.org) feeling confident that we've got your individual considerations covered.